I interviewed Drew to learn how he made the app and created a visual explanation on my iPad.
- You start by entering your ZIP code into a website made with Bubble.
- Bubble sends your ZIP code to the Yesterday’s Weather API (made by Drew with PHP).
- The YW API uses your ZIP code to find your location in latitude and longitude and sends that data back to Bubble.
- Next, Bubble sends your location (in lat. and long.) to the Dark Sky API
- The Dark Sky API sends the weather for your location back to Bubble.
- Bubble displays today’s weather as a sentence
- When you open the YW mobile app (made with Tunkable) it uses your phone’s GPS to get your location (no need to enter this data manually)
- YW also stores your location locally so that it doesn’t need to check your location all the time
- YW sends your location to the Dark Sky API.
- The Dark Sky API sends the weather for your location back to the app.
- Again, YW displays today’s weather as a sentence.
The mobile app is available for iOS and Android.
Here’s a time lapse of me drawing the whole thing.
Made for Drew Thomas.
- Adobe Draw
- Apple iPad Pro